Wednesday, March 1, 2017

You'll Be Back - Slice of Life 3/1/17


I absolutely had a Hamilton moment while beginning today's post. See, the last time I did the Slice of Life challenge in March was 2014. How is that possible? It seems like I just completed it and that it was eons ago at the same time. What happened? Well, life. When I look at my writing life, it has evolved in a variety of ways over the past few years. I began this blog in November of 2011. It was exciting, new. My writing changed, heck, my teaching of writing changed as a direct result. Over time my desire for writing has ebbed and flowed along with this blog, as you can see from the simple number of posts I've uploaded over the years: 
I looked over these numbers today and wondered how I was able to write so much just a few years ago. Then I thought more. When this blog began my sons were nine and six. I taught 5th grade, and had been teaching in elementary school for over twelve years. I didn't write anywhere else, my boys were home every day after school. Life was pretty quiet. 

Now, well, it's not. I've switched grade levels. I have two boys in middle school. Here is our calendar for March, and most of this is for them. (I blurred the calendar, but I think you get the idea...)


The slice of my life devoted to writing (see what I did there??) has become smaller and smaller over the past few years. This March my goal is to reclaim some of that time for me. So, I'm back. (cue the music) I have no idea if I have it in me to make the entire month - that's almost half as many posts as I wrote last year in total, but I'm willing to try. 

Let's begin.


Slice of Life is a challenge hosted by Two Writing Teachers.