Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Yellow Umbrellas - Slice of Life 3/14/17

The world seems a bit dimmer today, like some of the light has gone out. Amy Krouse Rosenthal passed away Monday morning. It's hard to explain why I'm impacted by someone's passing when I never even met them, yet here we are. 

I first heard of AKR through the author John Green in one of his videos. He talked about this crazy idea she had where she had all of these people gather at the Bean in Chicago for the sole purpose of making something. Then I found this video which gave an overview of what this event was.


I clearly remember watching it, thinking she was a person lit from within. That there are some people who just seem destined to be on this earth to bring the light. Amy, I was convinced, was one of those people.


After that I read her Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life, and found it to be brilliant. Through the years I would buy her books whenever they were released. I Wish You More, which came out in 2015, is a book I have saved to give my boys when they graduate. I read it aloud to my classes at the end of the school year now. Textbook Amy Krouse Rosenthal was an amazing read over Christmas break this year. And I can't read That's Me Loving You without crying, wondering if she wrote it knowing what her diagnosis was. 

Amy Krouse Rosenthal made an impact on my life by simply being herself, by inspiring me to do more, to be more. This morning I'm sharing John Green's recent interview, the yellow umbrellas from Chronicle, and John's tweets from Monday. (Read from the bottom to the top). If we all had this impact on the world, what would it look like? I plan to try and find out.

Slice of Life is a challenge hosted by Two Writing Teachers.