Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Spreading Kindness - Slice of Life 3/15/17


On Tuesday I shared with my seventh graders the news of Amy Krouse Rosenthal's passing. We looked at the video I shared in yesterday's blog post. I read through John Green's tweets and asked them what kind of person they thought Amy was, just from her books, the video, and what others were saying about her.
We talked about our legacy, what we leave behind. We talked about Amy's legacy and how it made the world a better place. We talked about a high school student in a nearby town who had passed away this weekend. He is gone far too soon, but the legacy he has left one of kindness, compassion, and a great work ethic. And we talked about how we can work on making the world just a bit brighter ourselves. 

I gave my students the umbrella PDF that Chronicle had shared to support Amy and asked them to fill it out to hang up in our classroom. My first class asked if, instead, we could hang them around the school. I figured why not. So here are their messages, what they feel we need just a little bit more of in this world. I hope it makes your world a bit brighter too.










































































Slice of Life is a challenge hosted by Two Writing Teachers.