Saturday, March 9, 2013

Slice of Life Nine - Michigan Reading Association


Slice of Life is sponsored every Tuesday by Stacey and Ruth from Two Writing Teachers. For the month of March we are challenging ourselves to write a Slice A Day.


Driving up 57 this afternoon – heading five hours north, I realized some might question my wisdom. Traveling that far to a conference? On your weekend? By yourself? Yes, it might sound crazy to some. However, March 8th has been circled on my calendar for some time now. It’s the date of the Michigan Reading Association’s annual conference. I was thrilled to come up.


Arriving at the conference I got to hang out with some friends in a hotel room. I think I had been in the room for maybe three minutes before titles to read began flying around. I added to my phone as quick as I could.

At dinner the book talks continued, along with discussions on Common Core, standardized testing, our students, our own children, etc. By this point a dear friend showed me an app that allows you to immediately purchase books – trouble. J

After dinner led to more conversations, more laughter, and more book recommendations. Finally, I pulled myself away long after midnight, I needed to rest up – the conference doesn’t even officially “begin” until tomorrow.

And so I’m back in my room and ready for bed. Unfortunately my neighbors in the room next door have taken the phrase party like a rock star quite literally. Hoping they are tired soon so I can get some sleep. If today’s any indication, there is much fun in store for me tomorrow.