Sunday, March 10, 2013

Slice of Life Eleven - Music for the Drive



Slice of Life is sponsored every Tuesday by Stacey and Ruth from Two Writing Teachers. For the month of March we are challenging ourselves to write a Slice A Day.


Driving home from the Michigan Reading Association’s annual conference today, I tried to focus on my audiobook, Bud, Not Buddy. However I quickly realized that three and a half hours of sleep and an audio book were not a good combination.


My car raced down the interstate
Music surrounded me
Singing at the top of my lungs.

Trying to stay awake
Listening to the songs
And thinking about the past three days.

Here are just a few songs that I heard on the five-hour drive back – and what they made me think of:

The Mountain Goats – This Year


I love this song; I first heard it during The Evening of Awesome with John and Hank Green. When I was listening I thought of everything teachers are struggling under - the weight of Common Core, growth model, assessment, RTI, and more. Before heading to MRA this weekend I was feeling a bit like Sisyphus, but after being with my friends for three days, my load is lighter. I am going to make it and emerge on the other side even stronger.

Mumford and SonsI Will Wait


I’m sure this song is about a relationship. However, these lines drew me in:

And I came home

Like a stone

And I fell heavy into your arms

These days of darkness

Which we've known

Will blow away with this new sun


I have to say, when joining Twitter I didn’t plan on finding people to follow that would become close friends, but I have. There are several that when I saw them this weekend, I fell into their arms. It had been a hard – dark – week at school. I needed them. As they hugged, tight, I felt my body simply relax. Ahhhh. These people rejuvenate me. They leave me inspired, ready to teach, and feeling so happy – just like this song.

Phillip Phillips – Home



And finally, this song by came up as I was coming over the hill and into Monticello. Home. I am beyond thrilled to be home, but my heart did tug as I realized it would be awhile before I saw my tribe again. I am beyond grateful for Twitter, Facebook, and even this blog. It makes the geographic boundaries disappear somewhat and friendships over long distances are much easier. That being said, there is nothing like talking over coffee. Thus, I’m counting the days until my next conference and basking in the glow of this one – all at the same time. 

Home