Monday, March 25, 2013

Slice 26 - Book A Day


Slice of Life is sponsored every Tuesday by Stacey and Ruth from Two Writing Teachers. For the month of March we are challenging ourselves to write a Slice A Day.


About two years ago I joined friends on Twitter for #bookaday – a creation from Donalyn Miller. The idea was that throughout our summer vacation we’d read a book a day and post about them on Twitter using the hashtag #bookaday. I didn’t know if I could read that much – I mean I read a lot but to average a book a day? That seemed a bit crazy.
My stack from Spring Break

What I ended up discovering that summer was that the more I read, the more I wanted to read. Not only did I manage to read a book a day, I read more!

This past Spring Break I shared with my students my reading goals – to polish off some more Newbery books and read a book a day over break. Did I meet that goal? You bet! I had nine days off – plus a snow day added in for good measure. So ten days to read ten books – done! I ended up reading 16 books – a mix of novels, graphic novels, picture books, non-fiction, and poetry. Pretty good! I didn’t get to every book I wanted to read, but I did read a good amount.

Now begins my favorite part of reading all of these books – heading back to my classroom and book talking them to my students! I can’t wait to see what they’ve read and what they want to share. Who knows? I might have to add some more books to my “to read” list as well.