Wednesday, July 31, 2024

What will be the hits this year?

 


Last week a romance author I love, Lucy Score, had a post on her reading group asking for teacher's classroom wishlists. I posted one and a lovely reader purchased every item I had on my list. So unbelievably kind. As I took the books into my classroom today, I began to label them and wondered what books will be the hits this year. If you've been in the classroom, you know what I'm talking about. The books that are passed hand to hand, never seeing the shelf, but always moving on to another reader. 

Every year I can count on certain titles to be included in that group, but often new books become "hot" based on the interests of the new group of kids. Last year's class found Kazu Kibuishi's Amulet series, one I was certain they would have read before seventh grade. Somehow they missed it and the kids devoured the books, not understanding how lucky they were to only have to wait until February for book nine. Another hit last year was the young adult romance, Better than the Movies. Kids loved it so much that one girl borrowed it from me for the summer so she could read it and pass it on to her friends before school started back up. I can't wait to hear what she thought.

As I sat in my room shelving my new books today I looked over the spines of old favorites as well as the new titles. The kids will be here in two weeks. The books and I cannot wait to meet them.