Sunday, March 24, 2013

Slice 25 - An unexpected gift


Slice of Life is sponsored every Tuesday by Stacey and Ruth from Two Writing Teachers. For the month of March we are challenging ourselves to write a Slice A Day.


So many things to write about today and only one post.

Sunday morning I awoke and read this article about homework (HERE).

Thought I might write about that.

Then I followed another link to an article about how literature is taught in this college course. (HERE) Hmm. Interesting. Another possibility.

And then this happened. And my day changed. While I did read a lot for my job today, the best part of my day was spent here:





More snow fell, and more, and more. I’m guessing we’re at about 8 inches now with more falling as the night progresses.

The night grew dark and the anticipation grew.
Was it possible?
Would we have a snow day?
Please, oh please, oh please.

Liam and I curled up on my bed to read The Secret of the Fortune Wookiee. As we lay down the phone rang.

We looked at each other, I answered, listened, and said to Liam…”It’s Dr. Z.” (Our superintendent.)

I barely heard the recorded words come out, I had heard all I needed to. We cheered, Liam ran to tell Luke, and I typed the "YAY" on Facebook.

Someone asked me – why would you celebrate a snow day? It isn’t that I don’t want to teach. Obviously, I love my job. I love my students. I love every day I get to spend talking books, writing, and fifth grade lives.

That being said...

Snow Days are…
An unexpected gift.
Time, when you least expect it.
A chance to recharge.

Snow days remind me…
Of being a kid.
Praying to hear my school’s name called.
Running around the kitchen and cheering when I did.

Snow days make me…
Grateful for time at home.
Reflective of how I want to spend my time.
Excited to spend time with family.

And while I know, we have to make up the time we miss, that we will have one more day before getting out for summer break – I’m good with that. Summer break is LONG. One less day won’t hurt anyone. Besides, I love this class. That just means I have a bit extra time before I have to say goodbye. That’s something I can celebrate. J

So what are we doing today? Who knows? I do know I will have a smile on my face and will be just as happy to see my students on Tuesday. Sure hope they’ve remembered to Slice over break. I can’t wait to see what they’ve been up to.