Friday, March 29, 2013

Slice 29 - Boys


Slice of Life is sponsored every Tuesday by Stacey and Ruth from Two Writing Teachers. For the month of March we are challenging ourselves to write a Slice A Day.


When I was growing up, I knew I wanted to be a mom. I also was absolutely certain that I would be a mom to boys – three, in fact. When I was pregnant that first time and we had the ultrasound, the doctor announced it was a boy, and I wasn’t surprised at all.

Three years later we were expecting again. People asked what I “wanted” – as if I had a choice in the matter. I always said I wanted a healthy baby, which I truly did, but I was thrilled to find out we were having another boy.

I remember my irritation when people would ask if we were going to “try” for a third so we could have a girl. I love my two boys, if we planned on another child, it would be to have another child – not to fill a void in gender.

And I know we’re lucky. We’re perfectly happy with what we are blessed to have. I also think God knew what he was doing – because honestly, boys are much easier for me to raise than girls.

Girl drama kills me – I have seen enough of it over the years as a teacher. I am not a fan of heading to gymnastics or cheerleading. And I enjoy boy humor.

Don’t get me wrong, I adore my students that are girls. I feel blessed that I am part of their lives. But coming home to conversations like the one below make me realize, I am exactly where I am supposed to be.

Liam has been “raising” a Peep at school all week. It is his “child.” His peep has a name, but he calls it “Peepy.” I have heard about Peepy all week – what Liam has done with him, what he was going to read him, etc. We even made Peepy a bed. Tonight Peepy was coming home to live here. I walked through the dining room and saw the box, no Peepy. I walked into the family room.

“Liam, where’s Peepy? I want to see him.”  Liam looks at me and grins. “No…. you
Peepy's former home
didn’t eat him, did you?”

Liam smiles, “Mmmm. Tasty.”

“Liam, he was your baby!”

Luke pipes in, “He’s never babysitting my kids.”  

Laughter. Lord I love my boys.