Friday, March 29, 2013

A Lover of Books


Slice of Life is sponsored every Tuesday by Stacey and Ruth from Two Writing Teachers. For the month of March we are challenging ourselves to write a Slice A Day.


Tonight I was driving home from a fabulous dinner with some friends. We had been planning on and off all night the trips we'd like to take together. (If we could just get the time and money to work out!) At one point one of them pointed out that my 40th birthday is next year - where did I want to go to celebrate? I paused, and then said something about not needing anything elaborate. My fabulous sister-in-law, Mo, said something like, "We aren't going to some bookstore for your birthday, Katherine." 

I laughed. They know me well. Actually, some type of trip where I determine the path solely based on Independent Bookstores I want to visit sounds absolutely perfect to me. :) And as I sat down tonight to type up a slice, I thought of everything book related that has made me smile in the last two days.

I graded some student responses this week - many students choose to do a short sketch and some writing as they think about their book. Loved these two. 
I know this is Carley, but this is how I looked upon finishing One for the Murphys.


Loved the P.S. Note on this one. This students friends have been BEGGING her to read When You Reach Me. She loves it but wants to keep that a secret for now. The book & the experience belong to her alone.



Reading Fortune Wookiee by Tom Angleberger with Liam before bed. 



Searching for the boys in the bookstore. Finding them happily reading a book together. And - no photo - but having them read facts about WWII to me as we drove to lunch. Love that they are excited about learning. 

Seeing a book written by an author I admire on the shelf. Yay Hattie (and Kirby Larson!)


Giving books to Miss Vivian when we met her for lunch. Love this line called Indestructibles

And those are just a few book related items that brought me some joy. I thought as I drove home from dropping my friends off - I know they were teasing about the bookstore trip (although I wouldn't be against it, ladies!) but I'm glad that being a lover of books is so woven into my identity that when thinking of where I'd like to go, that's what came to mind. I'm happy to wear this Nerdy Book Club badge with honor. There are much worse things I could be known for, books sounds about perfect to me.