Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Slice 27 - Why I Write


A few months back I wrote my students a letter here – telling them why they should read. Today, I want to write to them again – this time focusing on writing. We are nearing the end of our Slice of Life journey (both my friends at Two Writing Teachers  and my students in my class.) Some students I can see have embraced it. I am so impressed with their dedication and how they’ve grown as writers. Others are still learning, but really, we all are. We’re just at different spots on that journey.

Dear Students,

I want to thank you for taking this journey with me.
I know you were hesitant.
I know you thought I was nuts.
I am, but that’s another slice.

See, I have learned so much through writing.
At first I did it for myself.
I had no idea anyone would ever read it.
I wrote for me.
I wrote for you.
I knew I would be a better teacher
If I wrote beside you.

And then, comments!

Comments thrilled me, but frightened me too.
Writing can be scary.
You are putting yourself out there.
Asking people to read.
To think.
To judge.

Eventually, I relaxed.
And to my surprise
People enjoyed my writing!
Comments.
Tweets.
Emails.
Facebook messages.

I learned so much.
When you put yourself out there.
People give much back in return.

I began having fun.
Playing with my writing.
Trying to make my voice come through.
Looking at words.
Being inspired.

Before long I found myself writing…
Daily.
When I was fired up.
When I needed to think.
When I was sad.
When I needed reassurance.

Writing was something I did.
I do.
I am.

Writing gives you a voice.
Writing helps you make a difference.
Through writing,
I found the person I was meant to be.

Please know, I know this unit has been a risk.
I know you have put yourself out there.
Know that I see you.
I am proud of you.
I hope you are proud of yourself.

With love,
Mrs. S

Slice of Life is sponsored every Tuesday by Stacey and Ruth from Two Writing Teachers. For the month of March we are challenging ourselves to write a Slice A Day.