Friday, March 8, 2013

Slice of Life Eight - Thank You, Ame Dyckman



Slice of Life is sponsored every Tuesday by Stacey and Ruth from Two Writing Teachers. For the month of March we are challenging ourselves to write a Slice A Day.


It’s funny; teaching is about so much more than the standards. Case in point – the fabulous author Ame Dyckman was kind enough to Skype with my class Tuesday. I was a bit worried I might “oversell” her – Ame had Skyped with my summer reading camp so I knew she would be amazing. The kids LOVED her. Ame has tons of energy, is funny, and shared so much about herself. From meeting her cat to learning that she keeps books in her pocket, we were mesmerized.

Today I brought in a box. Glancing at the Boy + Bot sticker on the front, my students immediately became curious. Opening it, a plethora of goodies spilled forth. Boy + Bot bookmarks, stickers, and bracelets. And there were enough bookmarks and stickers for my own class, both of my reading classes (who love the book), and my son’s fourth grade class as well!

Looking up from our bounty we immediately decided Thank You notes were in order. I asked them to create a note to thank Ame, how they did that was up to them. The notes turned in were as varied as my students are. What I was impressed by was what they shared. I found out that this was the first thank you note several kids had ever written. We talked about why it might be important. Some kids asked if Ame would really see these notes. I assured them she would.


So thank you, Ame, from my class to you. You do make quite a fabulous impression. The kids are ready for you to come in and sub for me anytime.
J And the letters, as they say, are in the mail.