Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Slice of Life Six - Friendships



 Slice of Life is sponsored every Tuesday by Stacey and Ruth from Two Writing Teachers. For the month of March we are challenging ourself to write a Slice A Day. Here we go! 

I was watching Notting Hill last night as I made dinner. I adore Hugh Grant and this is one of my favorite movies. The scene of Will and Anna’s first date came on. Will brings Anna over to his friends’ house to celebrate his sister’s birthday. At one point they are all sitting around the dinner table laughing and sharing stories. It made me pause. I am so lucky to have so many wonderful people to call my friends.

Friendships are funny. When I was younger I was always trying to find where I fit in. I often felt I couldn’t be myself – I would try and mold myself to the group of people who I thought were my friends. Some were, some weren’t. Popularity was, unfortunately, hugely important to me. I didn't have a firm grasp on what I stood for. But as I grew up, I grew wiser.

Through my twenties I continued to find old friends and new. I also spent a lot of time figuring out who I was – cliché, I know, but true. And I believe it was parenting, and my thirties, that really helped.

At the age of thirty-eight I finally feel strongly I know who I am and I am extremely comfortable in my own skin.  I know who my friend are – and what a great group of diverse people makes that up. I have friends from long ago who have stuck by me. Friends at work who help me navigate life’s every day bumps. Friends online who have become true people I turn to for advice. And a core group of friends who I count on.

Saturday I saw some of that group for a fun night in. Playing a board game with them I laughed harder than I had in forever. Looking around that room I was grateful for these people who make me feel so comfortable that I forget anything else I have pressing on my mind. And I love a movie that reflects my own life and my own blessings back at me.