Thursday, March 8, 2012

Slice of Life Eight - WRAD

 Slice of Life is sponsored every Tuesday by Stacey and Ruth from Two Writing Teachers. For the month of March we are challenging ourself to write a Slice A Day. Here we go! 


Today I tried something different, when thinking of a “slice” of my day I decided to video tape my drive to grad school yesterday. My daily commute to my school is nothing, ¼ of a mile in a town of 5,000 with two traffic lights. (Not stop lights – I’m married to an engineer who deals with traffic and he’s pretty particular about that term.) So today I thought I’d show you my drive to grad school – roughly 30 miles away. I’ve blogged that it allows me to relax and reflect and I wanted to show you why.





Note, that is not a Christmas tree,
but Thalia who protects our classroom.
Also, Wednesday was World Read Aloud Day hosted by LitWorld. I kicked off the day with my mom in my classroom reading Sylvester and the Magic Pebble, a childhood favorite.

We then turned our attention to ISAT tests where my students worked so hard. Finally, we wrapped up the day with three picture books that are new to my collection:

·      And Then It’s Spring by Julie Fogliano
·      Otto the Book Bear by Katie Cleminson
·      One Cool Friend by Toni Buzzeo

We also had our chapter book read aloud, The Sixty-Eight Rooms by Marianne Malone. Marianne is visiting my classroom next Wednesday and we are quickly finishing her book in anticipation of her arrival. 


It was a great celebration of reading. I had emailed the teachers in my district to see who would participate. If they wanted to join they needed to let me know today how many kids they read to. As of the typing of this blog I have a total just over 1,600. There are just over 1,600 students enrolled in our district. Some kids have been counted more than once because they were read to in their classroom and a special. But overall I'm thrilled. What a great day of reading!