Friday, March 23, 2012

Slice 23 - Three random bright spots


Slice of Life is sponsored every Tuesday by Stacey and Ruth from Two Writing Teachers. For the month of March we are challenging ourself to write a Slice A Day. Here we go! 

My writing mind is tired tonight. For the first time in this challenge I’m not in the mood to write. I need to read – to finish this mammoth book, The Art of Fielding. It’s good, it really is, but it’s LONG. And it’s been so long since I read a book for adults, my brain is on overdrive.

So, this is a fast post. A slice of my life today. Three things that made me feel good. Why three? No idea, just like the number. J

I took this picture while I was laying down in my wonderful bed. I had just finished David Small’s Stitches. Wow. If you haven’t read this memoir, I highly recommend it. I did want to travel, find David, hug him, and take care of him. So powerful that I had to just “be” when I finished. I lay there staring at my window thinking of how lucky I was and then a breeze came in. All I could think was, Is there anything better than this? A breeze through a window on a warm March day in Illinois with the sound of birds singing. So blessed.

This is a screen shot of an email I got today. As I’ve said in so many blog posts, I am a huge John & Hank Green fan. Admittedly, I’m a little late to this party. I found these guys after reading The Fault in Our Stars in January. They have 900+ videos on YouTube and I’ve been watching them instead of TV. One organization they support is Kiva. After hearing John talk about it and say by joining their group you can be given a $25 free donation (by some donor) to donate to whomever you choose at Kiva’s website, I figured I had nothing to lose. I registered and donated to a farmer. When I completed my donation I felt wonderful and am so glad for somewhere I can give directly to people in need. (If you want to join the Nerdfighters at Kiva and complete your first donation for free, CLICK HERE.) 


 
Finally, here’s a sweaty picture of me after my run today. I want to publicly thank Frankie Sibberson for motivating me here. I’m going to blog about my running for her running blog at some point so I’ll keep this brief. I need to get in shape and I don’t get motivated easily to exercise. Why workout when I could read? But Franki has helped motivate me and I’m proud to say I’m now running/ walking more than I could just three weeks ago and feeling great. Not so great that on running days that I say, “Woo hoo, I get to run!” but great nonetheless.

Now off to read, or maybe a quick vlog on Vlogbrothers first. Decisions, decisions.