Friday, March 30, 2012

Slice 30 - Age Awareness

Slice of Life is sponsored every Tuesday by Stacey and Ruth from Two Writing Teachers. For the month of March we are challenging ourself to write a Slice A Day. Here we go!

Do you ever think of your age and realize that you are old? I turned 38 this year and in some ways I feel like 38 is a perfect age. I love my thirties and don’t feel old, in most ways. My mind doesn’t feel old; my body is another story some days. But, for the most part, I don’t feel like a certain age, just me. But then things happen to make you realize just how old you are.

Last night I met up with four other women my age. We met at a local restaurant for dinner and proceeded to catch up. See, I went to school with these ladies starting in the fifth grade and we are planning our twentieth high school reunion. Yep, twentieth. Holy crap, that is a lot of years.

For a few moments I paused and took in my age. I mean, I remember my parents being this age. I remember thinking they were ancient! And I actually see a lot of my mom in myself, my dad too, which is just weird. But then as we went through our yearbook and all of the people we still need to find, stories came up, memories came back. I’ve known the people at the table since I was ten years old. Some I still see regularly, for some it had been awhile. But it was awesome.

All too soon my phone buzzed with a text message. Chris wanted to know when I’d be home; usually he gets to meet up with friends on Thursday nights at the same Irish restaurant/ bar I was in. I looked up and saw some of those friends at the front. Time to go. Saying goodbye to my friends I was glad I’d get to meet up with them in two more weeks to continue our planning. Sometimes remembering back helps you to feel young again.