Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Slice 20 - a quick getaway

We're on spring break right now and while we couldn't go on a week long vacation the boys and I did steal away for two short days. I had originally planned on heading up to Chicago but my mom gave me a better idea - a trip to St. Louis.

 We came down early Monday morning. My mom and I talked in the front of the van, the boys watched WWE videos in the back. Our first stop was the City Museum. This is a place we've always enjoyed but has gotten so much easier as they've grown up. While I did go down the 10 story slide today I didn't have to follow them through the impossibly narrow cages to the high flying airplanes.

 Next stop was a place named McGurk's for lunch. We love that spot and I was thrilled to go back. My favorite is the Toasted Ravioli and the chicken fingers an with honey mustard dipping sauce. Luke took a picture of my mom and I that I cruelly sent via text to my brother, sister-in-law, dad, and husband - just to let them know what they were missing out on.

 Finally, we headed north to Glen Carbon to pick my niece up from school. The sound of laughter and shrieking filled the car as the cousins greeted each other. We quickly traversed over to Dairy Queen for some after school ice cream and to share our days. Then back to my sister's house to get ready for the evening's event - a second grade spring musical.

My sister and Craig came home, my dad arrived, and the musical began. Looking around the audience I thought how wonderful it was that my niece had 15 people there to see her. Our group, her dad's family which included her step-mom's family as well. It was a terrific end to a wonderful day.