Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Slice of life 14 - Timing



Slice of Life is sponsored every Tuesday by Stacey and Ruth from Two Writing Teachers. For the month of March we are challenging ourself to write a Slice A Day. Here we go!

 

I think every time I’ve ever gotten sick I have thought, “I don’t have time for this.” This week is no different. State testing is over (can I get a WOO HOO!) and I’m cramming in as much as possible before break starts Friday afternoon.

My writing class is finishing up our poetry unit. They have written their final drafts on the iPads and we are created a classroom anthology in Pages that will be available to read on each iPad in the iBooks area.

My homeroom is having an author, Marianne Malone, visit today. She lives just a little bit away. Her first book, The Sixty-Eight Rooms is our class read aloud. I wrote a Donor’s Choose project to get each student the sequel, Stealing Magic. She is visiting today to talk about her writing process.

I have a presentation tonight in grad school on School Finance and Title 1 funds.

Thursday I get to meet Mindi Rench, Heather Corral, and Terry Thompson in Springfield for dinner. I can’t wait to catch up with them.

Friday we begin Spring Break.

Saturday I’m going out with a friend. Still need to find a babysitter.

Sunday we’re having my parents over for dinner to celebrate my dad’s birthday from last week.

Monday I’m headed to St. Louis for a short trip with my boys. We’re hitting up The City Museum, the zoo, and seeing my niece.

Note on my pillow from Liam. He said it was
to make me feel better. It helps. Not sure if I
am a cowboy at the top or what. :) 
So, no, I have no time to be sick right now. And yet when I came home for lunch on Tuesday I felt “off”. After sitting and eating I finally grabbed a thermometer. 100.3. Crap. (I actually used stronger language but it looks worse when you type it.) J Popped some Tylenol and back to school I went. Came home and debated. Tuesday is a “run” day and I haven’t missed one yet. Checked my temp, 99.6. Figured I’d sweat the virus out. Got the run in but it isn’t gone. Mind over matter, right? I’m not sick. I don’t have time for it.

And thanks for all of the wonderful comments on yesterday’s slice. In trying to comment on other blogs I don’t have as much time to respond here. I love hearing back from you all so please know how much I appreciate it. 

11 comments:

  1. You are welcome; it was a wonderful piece. So sorry you're feeling a little 'off' & can't believe you have the stamina to keep going with a fever. You have a busy week ahead, I can see. Hope spring break finds you very well! Enjoy all those minutes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being sick is never convenient, but fever is the line in which you have to stay home - for you and your kids. Fever is what proves it isn't just a cold and you need to keep your germs to yourself. Since our school has a policy that students with a fever must stay home until they are fever free for 24 hours (without medicine) teachers need to be setting the example. It is never easy to be out and there is never a good time, but your body is telling you something. Go home! (I hope you feel better soon.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate being sick, too! At least it's before spring break. Hopefully you'll feel better so you can enjoy your break. Don't push yourself, if you're sick, you're sick! Feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all *fist bump* on the state testing being over. Next...I'm wondering if there is a way I can get a copy of your student's ePub for my students' ipads. I think it would be really cool for them to see this and we are at the beginning of a poetry unit! email me... kmuhtaris@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm laying here sick while I read your post. I don't have time for this either but I don't think I have a choice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Take care of your cold. Something very similar to what you're describing is running rampant at my school right now; probably explains why I'm home sick today.
    Hopefully, you will feel better soon and will be able to enjoy all these amazing upcoming events as well as your spring break!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You ARE too busy to fall sick! Hope you feel better very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck getting past the fever and on with your life!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We're smack in the middle of testing. Boo.

    I understand about comments! I try to respond to them, but I'm not even sure people get notified when I do... so I'm focusing more on commenting on other people's posts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the picture of the note. You do have a will and hopefully you will be feeling better than ever. Lots to do, but Friday is coming.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Katie - sorry! Just getting around to emailing you today. Is it ok if I email it in a pages file? I'm going to try that shortly. If it doesn't work, let me know.

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs
Blog design by Imagination Designs Images from the Just Because kit by Laurie Ann