Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Slice of Life – Reflecting on 2014


Slice of Life is sponsored on Tuesdays by Two Writing Teachers.

It’s that time of year again, time to look back and look ahead. 2014 was a good year. A year where we had some sadness, but also a whole lot to celebrate. I am more certain than ever that time speeds up as you get older, because 2014 seemed to fly! This just makes me all the more aware of the time passing and the desire to hold tight and appreciate it while I can.

I try not to make “resolutions” each year, mainly because as I near the end of my 40th year, I know I don’t keep them. Instead, each year I pick my word, my one little word, and focus on that for the next year. It isn’t something I consciously do each day, but it pops up in my mind throughout the year. For 2012 and 2013 I had the word be. Just be. Last year the word was balance. Both words have helped me – to be more comfortable in my own skin, to search for balance when it was gone. I’ve thought a lot about what to pick for this year’s word.

Grace

There is a lot I would like to accomplish this year, a lot I would like to change, but it begins here, with grace.

If you would also like to select a word for your year, please join in! If you need inspiration, here’s a list of words that were selected in 2013 on Ali Edwards’ blog.