Thursday, December 11, 2014

Falling In Love With Writing, Again

It’s a funny thing about writing daily, you begin to see your ideas everywhere. When Linda Urban tweeted out about the #WriteDaily30 group, I was hesitant to join. I’ve written daily, of course, before. I have done the Slice of Life challenge each year. Yet writing daily? In December? When I’m already overwhelmed and stressed? That seemed like an insane idea.

And yet I knew I needed to do it.

This fall writing and I kind-of broke up.
Or maybe we just had a falling out.
I’m still not sure.

I had written so much this summer. I had started a book, written blogs, articles, curriculum, etc. Then, August hit. And everything dropped.

Family healthy issues,
Commitments to volunteering,
The start of the school year,
Writer’s block on my book.

I was dreading writing each day. I was uninspired. And, to be honest, I looked at my friends beginning the school year relaxed and I knew I wasn’t. I had so much on my plate and never had any down time. So I stopped. Or, to be more accurate, slowed down a bit.

In the process, I fell out of love with writing.

The less I wrote, the farther I moved away from it, the harder it was to get ideas when I did decide I should – not wanted to, but should – blog. I began to question why I did this blogging thing to begin with.

Then, like a miracle, Linda’s tweet.

When I signed on, I decided I just wanted to write daily.

Not on a book,
Not on a blog,
Not for a time limit,
Not for a word count goal.

Just write.

And I have. Each day has ended up going up on my blog, but I didn’t set out to do that. Just when I’ve been done, I have thought it fit there. I’m not requiring that of myself, however. So there might be days in December I don’t post, but I will write.


In writing daily I have found my way back.

Ideas come every morning as I open up the document. My journal has been stuck back in my purse. Writing and I have made up, and I am so glad we have.


Thanks, Linda.