Sunday, March 2, 2014

Slice of Life - Seeds



Slice of Life is sponsored on Tuesdays by Two Writing Teachers. For the month of March we are posting a slice each day on our blog. Join in! 

Years ago when reflecting at the end of the school year on how the year had gone, I decided my writing instruction was lacking. Reflecting, I realized I didn't consider myself a writer and this impacted the instruction and passion I passed on to my students. Determined to grow, I purchased the Units of Study by Lucy Calkins. Slowly I read through each unit, teaching myself along the way. One of my favorite concepts was the seeds vs. watermelon stories. Such a simple concept, but one that really stuck with my students. Even today I think of "seeds", but not solely in terms of my stories. When I am looking for ideas to write, I look for the seeds, or the beginnings of an idea. When I'm having a bad day, I look for the seeds, or small moments that are worth celebrating. I have redefined what my attitude is just by the concept of seeds.

Saturday I decided to photograph my seeds - just moments that made me smile throughout the day. Here are just a few:

Going across:
  • This book - read it. Stop reading my post, go get it. Wow.
  • My new favorite coffee mug. 
  • My favorite outfit of late. Pure comfort. 
  • Milano cookies - reminds me of my grandmother, Mumsie.
  • This face. Begging for food, always. Love.
  • English Muffin bread - a new favorite.
  • A passage I had to text a friend from said book. Hilarious.
  • Third grade basketball at the Y. Love the effort!
  • My birthday dinner on my favorite plate. All is well.
I read somewhere that if you take the time at the end of the day to write what went well, there is a great impact on your mental well being. I do believe that gratitude works and, while my life is far from perfect, I am beyond grateful for all of these "seeds" from my day and so many more. 

Happy Sunday!