Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Slice of Life - NCTE 2013



Slice of Life is sponsored every Tuesday by Two Writing Teachers

NCTE. To encapsulate all of the awesomeness of the four days would be next to impossible. Any type of summary I will attempt will be inadequate. My friend calls this conference “plaque removal.” I would agree. NCTE has become one of my favorite weekends of the year. It reminds me I am not alone. It reminds me of how much good there is in education, despite what the media portrays, and it reminds me of just how blessed I am.

Maybe later I will try and summarize what I learned. For today, this will have to suffice.

NCTE 2013

I won’t forget…
Dinners with friends, authors, writers.
Laughing until tears ran down my face.
Feeling inspired to write, teach, grow.

Rooming with a dear friend.
Her kindness knowing how much I usually prefer to be alone.
Laughing and talking up way to late.
Realizing how amazing our weekend had become already.

Catching up with friends over coffee.
Wondering once again
Why I have to live so far from Starbucks.

Attending sessions that spoke to me.
Learning new concepts.
Being reminded of old ones.
Affirmed in my teaching.

Favorite memories abound-
Hugs from Twitter friends.
Heinemann’s breakfast when I felt
I might be part of something greater than I knew.
Nerdy gatherings daily.

The astonishment when online friends,
Blog readers, Twitter friends, authors I’d never met
Approaching me…
You’re Katherine Sokolowski, right? I love your writing.
Wow. Thank you.
Thank you.
I have no words to describe that feeling.

NCTE13.
I have become braver than I was before.
This conference pushes me out of my comfort zone
It is completely worth it.


I tried to take as many photos as possible during the weekend. I missed many with friends – conversations were too wonderful to remember to pull out a camera. I did get several, however, and put them in the video below. (Feedly friends – you might need to click over to the blog to actually see it.) Thanks for an amazing weekend to everyone I saw at NCTE. Hope to see you in DC if not before!