Monday, April 2, 2012

Slice of Life - Make me smile


Slice of Life is sponsored every Tuesday by Stacey and Ruth from Two Writing Teachers. For the month of March we are challenging ourself to write a Slice A Day. Here we go!


If you read my slices in March you’ll know that I’m 38 and while I still think I’m young I am often proven otherwise. This became crystal clear when I saw the following YouTube video. While I was watching the first 2 minutes of it I thought it was a group of high school students hanging out, lip syncing some song. 


My thoughts ran from...

Wow, these are adorable kids. They can dance. I love how fun seems to exude from this. Wait, is that the kids from Big Time Rush? And why do I know that? 


Finally,  around 2:30 I realized it was Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez. Good grief. But maybe that would be a mistake any adult would make. Until I showed the video to my niece (8 yrs) and sons (9 and 6 yrs). They all recognized many of the kids in it, quickly. A few laughs were had at my expense. I still argue it’s a fun video, even if you don’t know who’s in it.

With that thought in mind, I saw the following tweets tonight on Twitter.







These absolutely made my day. Number one – I now am thinking of a bunch of ten-year-old Mr. Schu (and Mr. Sharp) groupies across the country. And two, I absolutely think they need their own lip sync video – gentlemen, see the above example. I’m sure we could find some song that has to do with books or reading. I feel like Tom Angleberger’s Fake Mustache should have been held up in the above video. (Although I was pleased that a book made it, period. Way to go, teen stars. Promote reading!)

All in all, it was a great way to start my week. A video that made me laugh and feel my age, but in a good way. Tweets that made me smile. And the vision for an awesome, crazy, fun video staring Twitter friends. Colby and John, I think this is an idea you need to get behind. I promise I’d recognize you both. J

8 comments:

  1. Ooo... maybe Tom could write them a song? That would be hysterical!

    I agree, sometimes the best laughs are twitter laughs :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. very fun to see, Katherine. I'm old enough to admit that I don't know any of the people in the video, but I still love the music, the energy of the kids, so enjoyed every bit-a wake up this am! Now I will look forward to you as director of this upcoming video...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun connections! From a video to tweets to literacy - I wonder what will be next.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is always something out there to prove to us we are not so young and hip (besides the mirror). Sigh . . . one day they will be old too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE. IT! Thanks for sharing your smile today via a slice. It's just perfect.
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  6. John and Colby are book superstars. They are so fun to watch/listen to! It weirds me out to see people like Neil Patrick Harris on the Smurfs. I know him as Doogie. There are other actors like that that I remember from when I was a kid and now they are just random old actors to kids now. Craziness!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nancyellen HatcherApril 4, 2012 at 8:01 AM

    I was just watching this at school and 5 boys just walked in from outside doing a choo-choo together...ah....that is the right way to start a day. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you were old you wouldn't watch the video in the first place. In addition your mind continued thinking from there on generating connections and ideas. And smiling keeps you young too. You did not provide enough evidence to prove to be old. ;)

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs
Blog design by Imagination Designs Images from the Just Because kit by Laurie Ann