Sunday, April 29, 2012

It's Monday! What are you reading?


I’m joining Jen & Kellee (and many other bloggers) in discussing what we are reading this week. Join us! Go to their site and link up your own blog.


Man alive – I still didn’t finish Crow. That shouldn’t be an indication that the book isn’t wonderful, it is. More like it shows how crazy your life is at the end of a school year and as I prepare for my own finals and write final papers as well. Ugh! Only a few books read this week but lots of reading was accomplished:
·      Blog on reading, running, and teaching
·      Twitter – daily. Sometimes hourly.
Facebook – ditto.
·      Magazines – Midwest Living, Better Homes and Gardens
·      Book responses from my students – online and in their journals
·      Articles online like this one about Pearson and their stranglehold on testing
·      And a few books – see below (an * by any favorites.)
o   Waterless Mountain Laura Adams Armer
o   The Curious Garden Peter Brown *
o   Young Fu of the Upper Yangtze Elizabeth Foreman Lewis
o   Nate the Great Marjorie weinman Sharmat (* a reread)

This week I really want to finish Crow and The One and Only Ivan – reading that one with my boys. Grad school two nights, three little league games, and one open house conspire to make it a tough week but we will muster through!

Have a great reading week everyone!
Katherine

11 comments:

  1. Katherine
    I like how you include your blog and twitter readng, so often that's forgotten!
    I must read the The One and Only Ivan, its on my to buy list.
    Sounds like a busy time for you, don't know how you do it.
    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathryn--
    I am having a week (month?) kind of like yours. About the only reading I am getting done is blog/twitter/magazine. And I am not even going to grad school!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always forget to include my blog reading. I've had Book Fair and then I got sick, so when I went into my Google Reader this weekend I had 218 unread posts. It's amazing how fast it can get away from you. Since I had my phone with me at the Doctor's office and no book I got to catch up on a lot of the blog posts. Glad you are enjoying Crow and The One and Only Ivan! Two of my new favorites!!
    Stacey
    http://librarygals.blogspot.com/
    @libraryjo92

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Katherine,
    I finished my last project for graduate work last week and you won't believe how free you will feel when you are done! I can't believe how much you DO read, given the amount of reading in courses. I read Ivan over the weekend and then made two of my daughters read it as well. LOVED it. Thanks for putting it on my radar.
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  5. It all begins to add up quick doesn't it? I think The Curious Garden is a fantastic book! Happy mustering as sometimes that is all we can do to get through, good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katherine --
    You are an inspiration -- reading and teaching and smiling through the chaos of life.
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you included Magazines. Sometimes the quick and current pace of magazines really suits my reading. I always forget to count them, and often as teachers we forget to teach them! Also, I clicked and read the article about Pearson and NCLB. It's something extremely troublesome and hanging over the head of all educators. We simply don't have the luxury to ignore it no matter our classroom designation. Thanks for sharing that with us, very important reading indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel like April has just been one thing after another at our house, and by the time I get around to my bedtime reading, I can't keep my eyes open past a paragraph. Hoping for a much calmer May for both of us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a crazy time for you right now. I'm glad you shared your "other" reading that included online and magazines you like. It's important to validate all reading! :) I hope you can squeeze in some time to finish Crow . . . it's an exciting ending.

    Lorna @notforlunch

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that you shared your other reading! So true that we read so many more things than just books.

    How is Crow? I have it in my pile and I'll get to it one day :)

    Happy reading this week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know how you're doing all this, Katherine. I hope you make it through to the end, of school & of your master's degree! And somehow you are still reading some 'other' books. Amazing. Best wishes for the rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs
Blog design by Imagination Designs Images from the Just Because kit by Laurie Ann