Sunday, March 2, 2014

Slice of Life - Seeds



Slice of Life is sponsored on Tuesdays by Two Writing Teachers. For the month of March we are posting a slice each day on our blog. Join in! 

Years ago when reflecting at the end of the school year on how the year had gone, I decided my writing instruction was lacking. Reflecting, I realized I didn't consider myself a writer and this impacted the instruction and passion I passed on to my students. Determined to grow, I purchased the Units of Study by Lucy Calkins. Slowly I read through each unit, teaching myself along the way. One of my favorite concepts was the seeds vs. watermelon stories. Such a simple concept, but one that really stuck with my students. Even today I think of "seeds", but not solely in terms of my stories. When I am looking for ideas to write, I look for the seeds, or the beginnings of an idea. When I'm having a bad day, I look for the seeds, or small moments that are worth celebrating. I have redefined what my attitude is just by the concept of seeds.

Saturday I decided to photograph my seeds - just moments that made me smile throughout the day. Here are just a few:

Going across:
  • This book - read it. Stop reading my post, go get it. Wow.
  • My new favorite coffee mug. 
  • My favorite outfit of late. Pure comfort. 
  • Milano cookies - reminds me of my grandmother, Mumsie.
  • This face. Begging for food, always. Love.
  • English Muffin bread - a new favorite.
  • A passage I had to text a friend from said book. Hilarious.
  • Third grade basketball at the Y. Love the effort!
  • My birthday dinner on my favorite plate. All is well.
I read somewhere that if you take the time at the end of the day to write what went well, there is a great impact on your mental well being. I do believe that gratitude works and, while my life is far from perfect, I am beyond grateful for all of these "seeds" from my day and so many more. 

Happy Sunday! 
 
Imagination Designs
Blog design by Imagination Designs Images from the Just Because kit by Laurie Ann