Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Slice of Life - Presentation on Blogging



Slice of Life is sponsored on Tuesdays by Two Writing Teachers. For the month of March we are posting a slice each day on our blog. Join in!

Monday night I gave a presentation at a local library on blogging. A student’s mom works at the library and she asked me to come. Seeing as the library is small, and in a town of two hundred, I wondered if it would be an audience of one. Luckily, a small group of a few students (and parents) came. While I normally am super nervous when I present – no matter what the size – I was completely at ease. My students made me smile. They gave me comfort and confidence. Usually while speaking I can feel the heat rising to my face, blotches forming on my neck. It can happen as a result of nerves, but even occurs when I am excited or passionate about something. I’ve just learned to roll with it and move on.

About halfway through my presentation I realized that I could not feel my blotches. Teaching a group that was mostly students made me feel like I was in my classroom. I relaxed and had fun.

Coming home and seeing two message from parents of two of the students, I was excited to see that they are already on the path to starting their own blogs, less than an hour after I finished. I’m grateful that I had the chance to spend my evening with such a fabulous group.


**** Update - less than two hours after my presentation my student, Delaney, had already created a blog. It would be amazing if you could pop over and leave her a comment. Thanks so much! 

Delaney's Blog

In case you are interested, here are the slides from my presentation. There is not a lot of text on the page because I prefer talking and just using a visual to remind me of what I wanted to say. If you want more information on anything, please let me know. Thanks! 

Created with Haiku Deck, the free presentation app


 
Imagination Designs
Blog design by Imagination Designs Images from the Just Because kit by Laurie Ann