Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Slice of Life - Choice, Engagement, Relationships



Slice of Life is sponsored on Tuesdays by Two Writing Teachers. For the month of March we are posting a slice each day on our blog. Join in!

I’ve been thinking a lot about choice recently. Choice, engagement, relationships – it is all circling around in my mind. My students will be completing the final day of state testing today. I have wandered the room, putting my hand on their back for encouragement, as they work – and boy have they worked. This class has floored me. They are fun, chatty, silly, and like to often find a shorter way to do any assignment. If they don’t see a purpose for something, it is a hard sell. And truly, this made me wonder what they would do on these tests. Yet, they have worked hard. Yesterday was our writing portion. Wowza. I wish I was allowed to read and copy their writing, because just what I saw when I walked around impressed me. And yet, it is simply for a test.

As a result of the morning schedule being exhausting, our afternoons have been filled with what they love – reading, writing, choice. Yesterday we sat on our carpet meeting space and I shared with them my presentation from the night before. My student, Delaney, asked me to share her blog with the class, and so I did. Questions began firing from every corner of the room – how did she do that? Do you have to know how to create a website? Can we all create one right now?

I had to smile. These kids are tough sells at times. Write me an essay on the importance of recycling? No, thanks. Too much work. Go create a blog of your own that you will have to do all of the work on, all of the writing, and manage regularly. Yes, sign me up.

This made me think a lot about students today. Unfairly, I think they often get a bad wrap. What I see in my students is passion, creativity, a desire to help, a desire to create. We just have to figure out a way to tap into that. My students left with directions on how to start a blog, if they wanted to begin one. I told them I would be their mentor and could help them, but because of their age they needed parental permission and to create it at home. Judging by the messages I received last night, Delaney’s blog is no longer the only one in our class – several have been created and more are in the works.

Choice, engagement, relationships. I see that those three tenets are what hold my classroom together. I think that the relationships make me see the importance in choice and both lead to deeper engagement in my students, but it is something I want to come back to and think about more. Until then, happy last day of testing, my fabulous kids. You’ve got this.  
 
Imagination Designs
Blog design by Imagination Designs Images from the Just Because kit by Laurie Ann