Monday, April 27, 2015

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?


I'm thrilled to link up with Teach Mentor Texts and Unleashing Readers each Monday and share our reading lives. Check out their sites for more information. 

It has been a busy reading week, one of those that you look back and know how crazy busy life has been and are surprised that you actually read anything during the week. I think it helps that most of my reading has been focused - I am starting a Civil Rights unit this week in conjunction with the Social Studies teacher on my team and I felt like I needed some background. Here's what I've read:


Every book I read was fabulous, but I wanted to give two specific mentions: Yard Sale by Bunting, illustrated by Castillo, is completely enchanting. It follows the story of a family that needs to move, likely a parent has lost their job, but the little girl is confused. I cannot wait to use it to teach inferences with my fifth graders. It is perfect. 

Also, George by Alex Gino is a book I cannot get off my mind. This is a book written for middle grades about a child, George, who was born a boy, but knows she is a girl. George wants to try out for the role of Charlotte in the play Charlotte's Web, but her teacher says that role is only for girls. I think Gino did a brilliant job of portraying the struggle George is going through in her mind as she grapples with some big questions. This one is not out until this fall. 

This week is a crazy one again. Not sure what reading I will get done, but first I will be finishing Linda Urban's upcoming novel, Milo Speck. I'm loving it so far.