Monday, January 21, 2013

It's Monday! What are you reading?



I’m joining Jen & Kellee (and many other bloggers) in discussing what we are reading this week. Join us! Go to their site and link up your own blog.

Less reading this week due to an increase in grading. J One book that really stood out for me was A Prairie Boy’s Winter. When I told my librarian how much I enjoyed Twelve Kinds of Ice, she said it reminded her of A Prairie Boy’s Winter. She lent it to me from the library on Friday and I read it during our read-a-thon. Beautiful book and I absolutely see the connection. I am purchasing my own copy this week. I feel there could be a terrific mini-lesson in connecting the two books. And both books could be used as mentor texts for a memoir unit.

So, here’s last week’s snapshot on reading:


My plan for this week is to focus on professional development books. I am ½ way done with The Art of Slow Reading, To Understand, Teaching in Small Groups. I need to finish all of those. Also, I’m looking forward to reading Lee Ann Spillane’s book, Reading Amplified, for an online discussion coming up. If I make it through those four, Catcher in the Rye is here and waiting! 

7 comments:

  1. I'm interested in A Prairie Boy's Winter. I like reading Kuralek's books & loved Breaking Free. Have fun with the professional reading; I'm still reading Book Love & am a little embarrassed-just not finding much time. Thanks, Katherine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you liked Quinlan's book you might also appreciate Pat Conroy's My Reading Life. Your description of Prairie Boy's Winter reminds me of Island Boy by Barbara Cooney--the nostalgic look at things past and through generations. I'll have to get the ice and winter books --maybe it will help bring us some cooler weather!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved "The Art of Slow Reading." This was a transformative book. Made me reflect on how we read and what we stress as teachers of reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am always looking for good mentor texts for narrative/memoir. Enjoy your professional reading. My new copy of Book Love should arrive tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great mix food books and books for the classroom. I will have to check out The Art of Slow Reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't read too many professional books, but I did make time for Book Whisperer! I need to get Book Love also.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Myra from GatheringBooksJanuary 22, 2013 at 1:29 AM

    Hi Katherine, I loved how you connected A Prairie Boy's Winter with Twelve Kinds of Ice - I haven't read both books yet, but they sound like they would go together. :) I think I'd also enjoy the Anna Quindlen title "How Reading Changed My Life." I recall how much I loved Catcher in the Rye when I was a college undergraduate student. Have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs
Blog design by Imagination Designs Images from the Just Because kit by Laurie Ann