Friday, September 14, 2012

Celebrating Dot Day


International Dot Day celebrating Peter H. Reynolds’ wonderful picture book, The Dot, is on September 15, 2012. This was the first year celebrating in my classroom, but I’m so glad we did.

I read the book to my reading students yesterday. After reading we discussed Vashti and why she might be hesitant to begin her picture at the start of the story. The students made some great connections between The Dot and our current read aloud, Wonder. In each of my three reading classes we had an excellent discussion about how sometimes it is scary to try something new, or to put yourself out there where you could fail. But everyone had stories to share about how rewarding taking that leap could be.

Today the kids spent reading class listening to our Wonder soundtrack and creating their dot. I got the chance to move around the room and talk to each of them about what inspired their dots (and about what they’re reading, can’t miss that!) Not every student out of the 71 finished today but the majority did. I loved walking out of the building past our growing “Dot Gallery.” 

For more information on Dot Day, or to sign up, click HERE. For the link to the "Celebri-dots" created by some celebrities, click HERE

Enjoy peaking at a few of our Dots!