Sunday, January 1, 2012

One Little Word


Yesterday I talked about New Year’s Resolutions in regard to reading in 2012. Today I’m looking at resolutions for me. I always make resolutions, usually to get healthier: eat, exercise, etc. But about a week ago I read Two Writing Teachers’ blog about One Little Word. Picking one little word to live by for the year. I love that idea. I didn’t pick one at first, just let it percolate in my brain a little bit. Then, in my favorite thinking space – my car – it came to me the other day.

Be

Such a small word, isn’t it? But it means a lot to me and encompasses everything I want to work towards for this year. My favorite quote is one from Gandhi stating, “Be the change you want to see in the world.” I talk about it with my students a lot. I can't change the entire education system in the United States but I can be the best teacher I possibly can. So this year I plan to focus on this word.

Be
·      Be the best wife, mom, teacher, and friend I can
·      Be good to myself
·      Be a role model for others
·      Be a writer
·      Be a thinker
·      Be a reader
·      Be true to myself

Are you participating in One Little Word? If so, what’s your word for the year?

Have a wonderful New Year’s Day and hope your 2012 is off to a wonderful start.