Saturday, January 21, 2012

Monday is almost here!


Do you feel it? The excitement in the air? The anticipation of something wonderful? That’s right, it is almost here. Just two days from today they will announce the Caldecott and Newbery winners for 2012. I have dreamed, hoped, and read like a maniac but the day is upon us.

Last year was the first year I actively set out to try and read the winner before it was announced. I think I was a bit smug – you see the year before I had read the wonderful When You Reach Me and proceeded to tell anyone who would listen that it would win, psychic I tell you! So I read like a maniac in 2010 and had so many books that I would be happy to have win dancing around in my head. My students and I had discussed and were sure we were ready. That fateful day I glanced down at my Twitter feed and said, “Moon Over Manifest?” To which my students responded, “What’s that?” How let down I was, I was sure it was a perfectly fine book but I hadn’t even heard of it. What happened? (And I have read it since, it is a fine book but there are several I had LOVED and I can’t say that about MOM)

So this year, I read. I read and read and read. And I hope this isn’t jinxing the announcement, but here are the books I would love to see win. Not the ones I am confident in winning because last year shot that confidence right away from me – but if any of these books are announced on Monday morning, I will be a happy person.

My predictions:

Newbery





Medal Winner: A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness. I LOVE this book. I fully realize the committee might decide it doesn’t qualify for one reason or another, but I ADORE it.





Honor Winners:
 








Caldecott

Medal Winner: Me…Jane by Patrick McDonnell










Honor Winners:

 

And there you have it. Now, it’s time to wait. And in waiting I’ve read The Mighty Miss Malone and am just beginning The Fault in Our Stars. Not too shabby of a way to begin my new year of reading.

Will you be listening Monday morning or watching the live feed? Will your students be as well? I plan on it and as soon as I can rush home from school, I know I will be hurriedly typing out my thoughts here. And I find it amusing that I am nervous for my favorite books. I hope, I hope, I hope.