Saturday, October 25, 2014

Celebrate this Week



I’m joining up with Ruth Ayres for her weekly link-up, Celebrate This Week. Check out all of the posts linked up at her blog HERE. Thanks for starting this, Ruth!

Tonight I have sat and stared at my computer, struggling to put words together. I need to celebrate this week, but I feel like doing anything but celebrating. It’s been a tough week, full of challenges, grouchy moods, disappointing news, and so many reasons to feel let down. I have struggled, questioning friendships, career choices, priorities, and more. Snapping at my boys, I try and reel it in and remember what is good, what needs to be celebrated. A shift of focus is needed, especially when one’s plate is overflowing.

I celebrate the app Voxer. How it allows me to hear my beautiful friends’ voices, even when they live so far away.

I celebrate attending Luke’s first middle school concert and marveling at how they have grown in just a years time.

I celebrate former teachers, like Ms. Flock, and their willingness to give me a grammar lesson so I can help my own child with their homework.

I celebrate Liam finding a new book series he adores – The Imaginary Veterinary – and am grateful he is enjoying it so.

I celebrate my students and their excitement to attend our book fair.

I celebrate canvassing the town with a friend all morning. The opportunity to walk and talk for three hours was wonderful.

I celebrate my community. While some folks are very against the referendum and might be angry about it, I have had positive interactions for the past two Saturdays with people choosing to vote yes or no for our school referendum. I’ve loved the opportunity to visit with people I know and get to know some I haven’t met. While time consuming, it has started my Saturdays with a smile.

I celebrate stolen time. I’ve been trying to read The Red Pencil for at least a week. My schedule is a bit of a headache right now and reading time has taken a hit. Today I stole an hour – my car was getting an oil change and I had time to myself in the waiting room. I finished that beautiful book and am so glad I did.

I celebrate one former student allowing Liam to borrow his football helmet for Halloween. He loved it so much, he shot hoops in it. (Wish I had a photo.)

I celebrate getting the chance to talk to Luke and realize how mature he is becoming. I celebrate that I like my own children and truly want to spend time with them.

I celebrate another former student giving Liam a pair of black sweat pants just like his and coming to deliver them to him. Liam was a bit star struck.

I celebrate time. Time to pray, time to reflect, and the gift of time I am given.


Tonight as I drove home from all of my errands in Champaign, I watched a beautiful sunset. My heart was heavy as I thought of a former student. Her mom has lung cancer and is in the hospital. I chose to take my drive home and pray for the family. I can’t do much, and that makes me feel powerless, but I can pray. If you are so inclined, please say a prayer for my beautiful student, Cansas, and her mom Pam. She is a wonderful woman who absolutely deserves more time with her children too.

It has been a tough week, but when reflecting, it has been filled with tiny celebrations. I’m grateful for this weekly post to remind me to search out the good, it is always there. 
 
Imagination Designs
Blog design by Imagination Designs Images from the Just Because kit by Laurie Ann