Saturday, October 25, 2014

Celebrate this Week



I’m joining up with Ruth Ayres for her weekly link-up, Celebrate This Week. Check out all of the posts linked up at her blog HERE. Thanks for starting this, Ruth!

Tonight I have sat and stared at my computer, struggling to put words together. I need to celebrate this week, but I feel like doing anything but celebrating. It’s been a tough week, full of challenges, grouchy moods, disappointing news, and so many reasons to feel let down. I have struggled, questioning friendships, career choices, priorities, and more. Snapping at my boys, I try and reel it in and remember what is good, what needs to be celebrated. A shift of focus is needed, especially when one’s plate is overflowing.

I celebrate the app Voxer. How it allows me to hear my beautiful friends’ voices, even when they live so far away.

I celebrate attending Luke’s first middle school concert and marveling at how they have grown in just a years time.

I celebrate former teachers, like Ms. Flock, and their willingness to give me a grammar lesson so I can help my own child with their homework.

I celebrate Liam finding a new book series he adores – The Imaginary Veterinary – and am grateful he is enjoying it so.

I celebrate my students and their excitement to attend our book fair.

I celebrate canvassing the town with a friend all morning. The opportunity to walk and talk for three hours was wonderful.

I celebrate my community. While some folks are very against the referendum and might be angry about it, I have had positive interactions for the past two Saturdays with people choosing to vote yes or no for our school referendum. I’ve loved the opportunity to visit with people I know and get to know some I haven’t met. While time consuming, it has started my Saturdays with a smile.

I celebrate stolen time. I’ve been trying to read The Red Pencil for at least a week. My schedule is a bit of a headache right now and reading time has taken a hit. Today I stole an hour – my car was getting an oil change and I had time to myself in the waiting room. I finished that beautiful book and am so glad I did.

I celebrate one former student allowing Liam to borrow his football helmet for Halloween. He loved it so much, he shot hoops in it. (Wish I had a photo.)

I celebrate getting the chance to talk to Luke and realize how mature he is becoming. I celebrate that I like my own children and truly want to spend time with them.

I celebrate another former student giving Liam a pair of black sweat pants just like his and coming to deliver them to him. Liam was a bit star struck.

I celebrate time. Time to pray, time to reflect, and the gift of time I am given.


Tonight as I drove home from all of my errands in Champaign, I watched a beautiful sunset. My heart was heavy as I thought of a former student. Her mom has lung cancer and is in the hospital. I chose to take my drive home and pray for the family. I can’t do much, and that makes me feel powerless, but I can pray. If you are so inclined, please say a prayer for my beautiful student, Cansas, and her mom Pam. She is a wonderful woman who absolutely deserves more time with her children too.

It has been a tough week, but when reflecting, it has been filled with tiny celebrations. I’m grateful for this weekly post to remind me to search out the good, it is always there.