Saturday, October 11, 2014

Celebrate this Week - My Students



I’m joining up with Ruth Ayres for her weekly link-up, Celebrate This Week. Check out all of the posts linked up at her blog HERE. Thanks for starting this, Ruth!

Someone recently asked me why I would bother to give up so much time to volunteer for various projects in my town. I'm sure they were questioning my sanity and knowing how busy my schedule likely was, without adding in various committees and other responsibilities to it. But, the truth is that I love being part of this community. I love watching kids grow up here, becoming part of the lives of my students. I love knowing that a year spent with children when they are young might have lasting impact when they have grown. I would teach regardless of where I lived, but in a small town like Monticello, you get a chance to see first hand the impact you can have on a young person's life. So yes, even though I am busy, I give back. I'm glad to do it.

Today is one of those days each year that I celebrate. It's Homecoming weekend in our town. That means my Facebook feed is flooded with photos of children getting ready to go to the dance. While I always love looking at the pictures, this year was more emotional than most. You see, five years ago I looped with a class. I had finished my year with them as a fourth grade teacher and, after ten years at fourth grade, I moved up to fifth grade. While I love every class I have taught, I felt like those kids were mine by the time they left me as fifth graders. This year those same kids I taught when they were nine and ten are now ninth graders and headed to their first dance. It didn't seem possible, and yet, there they go! 

So this week I celebrate my students - the ones I looped with and the ones I have taught throughout the last eighteen years. Those students who still see me and give me a hug, tell me what they're reading, send me a message online, or throw passes to my son in flag football. I love watching all of you grow and am so proud of the people you are becoming. If you are headed to the dance tonight, be safe and have fun. 

With love,
Mrs. S

Blast from the past - here are those fabulous ninth graders as fourth graders and fifth graders. WOW! 


Fourth Grade


Fifth Grade