Sunday, January 5, 2014

Sunshine Award


Over Christmas break several bloggers were kind enough to list my blog as one to receive a Sunshine Award. I lost track of everyone but I know I received nominations from Clare Landrigan, Mary Lee Hahn, and Judy Jester .

What is this award?

The sunshine award gives others an opportunity to learn more about me as a blogger and then, in turn, I will send sunshine the way of 11 other amazing bloggers for you to get to know!
The rules that they posted were as follows:

Acknowledge the nominating blogger. Share 11 random facts about yourself.
 Answer the 11 questions the nominating blogger has created for you.
List 11 bloggers.  They should be bloggers you believe deserve some recognition and a little blogging love!
Post 11 questions for the bloggers you nominate to answer and let all the bloggers know they have been nominated. (You cannot nominate the blogger who nominated you.)

Luke and Liam with Snow Ice Cream
Here are eleven random facts about me:
  1.  I always thought I would have boys and I ended up with two: Luke is eleven, Liam is eight.
  2. My favorite place on earth is Daufuskie Island, South Carolina.
  3. Sunsets and sunrises make me extremely happy.
  4. I love holding a cup of coffee from Starbucks in my hands and breathing in the fabulous smell.
  5. I met Chris when I was 19 and he was 20. We got married when I was 22 and this summer will be our eighteenth wedding anniversary.
  6. I have a fear of heights, but bungee jumped when I was eighteen.
  7. I love swimming and being in the water.
  8. I like visiting cities, but don’t like living in them.
  9. When I was in second grade I had my own grade book and taught my class of stuffed animals.
  10. I am five foot two; my husband is six foot seven.
  11. I teach in the same school I attended as a child.


Here are my answers to some of Clare’s questions:

1)  What is your favorite board game?
Currently, Ticket to Ride. We got this game for my boys for Christmas and have played it almost every day since New Year’s Eve.

2) When I am stressed, I relax by….
Unfortunately, my answer would be baking or eating chocolate. Neither of which helps with my constant goal to get in better shape and lose weight.

3) How do you plan for writing on your blog?
I wish I was organized enough to plan. Usually something inspires me and I write. I do try and join the It’s Monday! What are you Reading?, Slice of Life, and Celebrate This Week link ups. Then I at least know I will be writing for those days. Otherwise, it is hit or miss. There is often a post brewing in my head, unfortunately the same can’t be said for a book topic. J
4) What is your favorite meal to cook?
Homemade pizza, hands down. I love my pizza more than any I can buy. Chris and Luke agree. Liam would prefer a frozen Jack’s pizza any day of the week.

Here are my answers to some of Judy’s questions:

1. What is something I wish I could do better?
Balance my life – hence using balance as my one little word this year.

2. What famous person would I like to dine with?
I’m going with teacher famous – I want a dinner party with authors of PD books I admire. I'd invite Teri Lesesne, Donalyn Miller, Jeff Anderson, Terry Thompson, Penny Kittle, Franki Sibberson, Chris Lehman, Kate Roberts, Ruth Ayres, Tammy and Clare, and so many more – including all of our Nerdy Book Club friends. It would be awesome and I’m sure we could solve the problems of the world.

3. What is a professional goal you have?
It isn’t a secret, I would love to write a book. However, I can write a blog post or article in less than 30 minutes, a book is more involved. I cannot wrap my brain around it or think up the all important topic. I’m confident that I will get there, but it won’t be easy.

4. Who is someone who has been a mentor to you?
Two – my mom was a great mentor to me as a teacher, Donalyn Miller as a teacher and a writer.

Here are my answers to some of Mary Lee’s questions:

1. Where were did you grow up and how has that place made you who you are?
I grew up where I currently live, a small town in East Central Illinois. In a town of 5,000 people, everyone knows who you are and what your story is. I think as a result, I am friendly to a fault and trust easily. I am a bit sheltered at times as well. I did move away after college on purpose. I felt like I needed to experience a bigger environment to know if this was truly where I belong.

5. What is your favorite junk food?
Chocolate.

10. What's one favorite memory of childhood?
I loved the feeling of freedom. In junior high in the summers my friend Kara and I would get up for swim team practice at 7am, stay for a double session. At nine we’d bike from the pool to my house, lay around watching TV until noon, eat lunch, head back to the pool until six, eat dinner, go to the ballpark and watch the guys our age play baseball until dark, then head home to wake up and do it all again the next day. It was awesome.

Now I am supposed to nominate eleven people and ask them to answer eleven questions.

I nominate… YOU! If you haven’t done this yet, jump in! Do you have a blog? Write up a blog post. If not, feel free to join in below in the comments. List eleven random facts and answer any (or all) of the questions below.

The eleven questions:

1. What is one dream you have that you want to accomplish this year?
2. Favorite food?
3. Where are you most comfortable?
4. Favorite subject in school as a kid? If you teach, favorite now?
5. What is the best book you read last?
6. Favorite movie of all time?
7. If you had to pick, what is your favorite way to exercise?
8. How do you prefer to travel – train, plane, boat, or car? Why?
9. Favorite season?
10. Snow days – love them or hate them?
11. What are you looking forward to in 2014?

Have a fabulous day and spread some Sunshine!