Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Slice of Life - Joy in the Unexpected




As a child
I would wait,
Breathless.
Praying for the words
I longed to hear.

Please,
Oh please,
Oh please,
Say Monticello Schools.

I would lay,
Curled up in my bed.
Listening to the radio,
Longing for a snow day.

And then the radio would say,
“MONTICELLO.”
I would leap out of bed,
the rush of excitement filling me up.

Today I was woken out of a sound sleep.
I squinted at the clock
5:55 am.
Then the phone rang again.

I sleepily trudged over.
Picking up the phone
I was transported to the ten-year-old girl
I once knew.
“Monticello Schools are closed.”
Said my Superintendent’s voice.

The joy of the unexpected gets me every time.

Slice of Life is sponsored every Tuesday by Two Writing Teachers
 
Imagination Designs
Blog design by Imagination Designs Images from the Just Because kit by Laurie Ann