Saturday, March 12, 2016

Celebrate This Week - Scholastic Reading Summits



I'm grateful, as ever, that Ruth Ayres asks us to pause on Saturdays and share a celebration (or two) from the week. Check out her blog HERE


This week's celebration is taking the time to look back as well as ahead. Last summer I attended a Scholastic Reading Summit in Ohio. It was a blast. Not only did I get to hang out with good friends, but I also attended fabulous sessions, had a wonderful lunch, and even got to swing by the book fair they had set up to purchase some books for my classroom. It was wonderful. 

This year I am honored to present at two Scholastic Summits - one in the St. Louis area and one in the Cincinnati area. My presentation is on using audience to create a more meaningful reading and writing experience for my students. The actual session description is shown below: 

And while I'd love you to come hang out with me for a morning, there is so much more! My brilliant friends John Schumacher (Mr. Schu) and Donalyn Miller are at every single Scholastic Summit! And another good friend, Colby Sharp, will be at the two I'm attending as well as the one in North Carolina. And that is just the tip of the iceberg. There are so many fabulous folks at these, I highly encourage you to check them out. 

I love summer PD, some of my favorite conferences are ones I attend in the summer. No sub plans to write, no huge lists of everything my husband needs to run my boys to while I'm away. I can just escape and go. There are so many fabulous ways to enrich your teaching lives in the summer. This summer I'll be at the Scholastic Summits and NerdCamp MI. Most summers I also attend the amazing All Write Conference in Indiana. 

I am beyond pumped to be at the two Scholastic Summits this year where I'll present as well as learn from brilliant folks. How about you? What is your favorite way to rejunivate your teaching over the break? Just the time to breathe is pretty amazing too, right? Hope I get the chance to learn with some of you this summer. It will be an amazing time.

Here are some links if you want to look into any of the summer conferences I mentioned:

Nerdcamp MI - click HERE

All Write in Warsaw, Indiana - click HERE

Scholastic Reading Summits - click HERE