Monday, May 6, 2013

Slice of Life - All Will Be Well


Just in case anyone was harboring the delusion that I’m a positive person all the time, or that my students are always fabulous, Monday in my classroom would have proved otherwise. I do find it a bit ironic that it was the first day of Teacher Appreciation week and part of my day had me questioning my chosen profession. At various times during the day I found myself counting, taking relaxation breaths, whispering to myself all will be well. And you know what, it will. I remind myself, again, that negativity breeds negativity. I am going to choose to look at the positive.

I am grateful for a janitor.
Who goes beyond his job.
And builds bookcases when mine overfill.

I am grateful for sons.
That read me like a book.
And dole out hugs and smiles.

I am grateful for friends online.
Always ready with the reminders.
“Live your life…” – Thanks, Margie.

I am grateful for friends, for Chris.
Who listen.
Who show compassion.
Who remind me of what I need to focus on.

I am grateful for parents.
Who support me and the work in the classroom.
Always ready with kind words.

And I am beyond grateful to twenty-three kids
Plus forty-five more.
That let me teach them each day.
That still make me smile,
Even when I’m frustrated.
Who mess up
Make mistakes
Yet turn it around
And amaze me.

Yes, tomorrow will be a better day,
I will make sure of that.
There are only sixteen left.
And each is more precious than the last. 

Slice of Life is sponsored every Tuesday by Stacey and Ruth from Two Writing Teachers