Saturday, September 8, 2012

A Trip to Anderson's Bookshop to see Dav Pilkey


Man alive, today is one of those days I need to remember. So apologies up front, my friends, because I’m recording it here so I can remember it AND share it with my students on Monday. J

My mom joined Luke, Liam, and me in a six hour round trip drive to Naperville, Illinois today – home of the amazing Anderson’s Bookshop. Dav Pilkey was there for a signing and my friend, John Schu, was meeting us for lunch. I wish we could have stayed even longer and seen more friends, but we were on a tight schedule.

We arrived in Naperville in time for lunch and before even reaching Lou Malnati’s we had to stop for a literary moment – a photo with Cat in the Hat.

After our photo shoot we quickly did a bit of pre-signing shopping at Anderson’s Bookshop. Can I just comment on what an amazing store this is? The staff is unbelievably kind and helpful. The selection is amazing. What a place. When my son, Luke, wanted to locate the Goosebumps series, a staff member helped him find it and had a great conversation with him. My mom was looking for a certain type of book for my dad and someone else helped her with several suggestions. Everyone is so knowledgeable. Highly recommend a visit here!
 
Then we trekked over for some delicious pizza and met up with John. I think all of you that know him will agree, John is the nicest person on earth. I was grateful he got to meet my boys and my mom. We talked books, school, and more.



Then we headed over to be part of the underwear contest. Anderson’s was attempting to assemble the largest group of folks with underwear on their heads. While waiting for the photo op we filmed a #nerdbery video. You can view it on HERE on John’s blog. (My son Luke and I give a few book talks on it.)

Then we met up with Donna and jumped in line to get our books signed. Dav Pilkey could not have been kinder. He talked to both Luke and Liam about what they enjoyed reading. Upon finding out that I taught fifth grade, he asked what that age of kids think of Captain Underpants. (Answer – they love it) Then I shared how bummed my students were that they couldn’t come with me, so he gave me a high five to pass on to them.

We left with hugs to our friends and hopped back in the car to head home. The entire ride home the boys alternated between buzzing with excitement about our quick trip and reading their new purchases. We ended our evening with a fabulous dinner at my parents’ house where we recapped the day with my dad. I ended the night by coming home where both of my boys hugged me and thanked me for an amazing day. Awesome indeed.





So many things to be grateful today – including friends who bring books as gifts and friends who call ahead to bookstores and leave you gift cards. Thank you John and Margie! To pay it forward I’d love to giveaway a copy of Dav Pilkey’s newest book.

Giveaway Rules

1. This giveaway will run from September 8th until 11:59 pm September 13th. (Central time zone)
2. This contest is open to people living in the continental United States.
3. You must be at least 13 years to enter.
4. If you can, please pay it forward. Thanks!