Tuesday, December 1, 2015

When You Need to Laugh

Recently a student came up to me for a book suggestion. We shopped our shelves as I tried to figure out what kind of book he was in the mood for. Every question I asked was met with a shrug. I scanned the shelves, describing some of my favorite books to him. At one point he turned, looking me in the eye, and said, "Mrs. S, I just need to laugh." 

Pow. Right in the heart. This year I have more students than ever that need to laugh. I have more students than ever that come to me with hard stories, hard lives. My heart seems to break a bit each day, but then it grows stronger with them. He needs to laugh. Yep, I get it.

That day was also the day I realized that many of the books I am drawn to as a reader are not necessarily the ones that make kids laugh. They make you think. They move through some tough life lessons. But silly, crazy, funny books like he was looking for? Not always the first ones I read. 

I sent him off with a stack that included Knuckleheads, the first in the Captain Underpants series, How to Outrun a Crocodile When Your Shoes are Untied, and a few others. However, I'd love to curate a list to have on hand. Do you have any favorite books that make you laugh? If so, please share in the comments. This year I think I will need more of these titles than ever before. Thanks!