Friday, December 11, 2015

Highs and Lows

I'm a big believer in the notion that our attitude is a choice. I choose to have good days, even when they aren't. I choose to look for the positive, even when the negative is ever present. Sometimes it's hard. Sometimes the wrong side wins out, but overall, I think I'm a happier person for this mindset.

It isn't that my teaching day is full of unicorns and rainbows. I have the same highs and lows as anyone else. Yesterday was full of them. 

The day dipped down,
Kids with unkind words,
Actions,
Completely oblivious to their impact on others.

And then, 
We shared a book,
Laugh at Percy's latest exploits,
Wonder how he would ever escape the Underworld.

Hours spent on the computer,
The phone,
Trying to figure out the state's red tape
What classes count? 
Confusion abounds.

Just as quickly, my load lightened.
Friends stepping in to help,
To offer kind words.
Students sharing a smile,
Joy.

Ending with a basketball game,
More bleacher time.
Time to see friends, colleagues, 
former students.
Hugs all around,
The cheer of the crowd.
A win!

And with that, I'm off to school. We will share our final drafts of our NaNoWriMo stories. I'll share a picture book. I have lunch with my son, a new rug, and a former student spending the night with Luke. It's going to be a great day.