Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Ruby on the Outside by Nora Raleigh Baskin


This book packs an emotional punch. A quiet book, but one that speaks right to your heart. In other words, my kind of book.

Ruby is eleven and just getting ready to start middle school. Like many middle school students, Ruby thinks about friendships quite a bit. But in Ruby's world, it is different. She has always kept a distance from other kids. Been friendly, but not too friendly. She doesn't have anyone over, doesn't confide, because Ruby has a secret, her mother is in prison. Ruby's aunt knows, of course. Ruby lives with her. But no one else. And then, a new girl named Margalit moves to their apartment complex and Ruby begins to wonder if it is time to share her secret. She wonders if Margalit can be the true friend she has been looking for.

I loved this book so. Ruby is introspective. She is kind, caring, and wants so badly to have a friend. She misses her mom in a way that is hard, but true. I think so many of my students will find someone to root for in Ruby. I cannot wait for school to begin so I can introduce my new class to Ruby, to share that I love it so much, I've included it in our Mock Newbery books. It's that good. 

What a simply beautiful book.