Monday, August 10, 2015

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?


I'm thrilled to link up with Teach Mentor Texts and Unleashing Readers each Monday and share our reading lives. Check out their sites for more information.


Not a huge reading week, but I had the chance to read several wonderful books. There are three I wanted to share specifically:
  • Human Body Theater by Maris Wicks was amazing. Incredibly detailed and informative, I learned so much from this book. Each chapter is a different system in the body and the narrator, a skeleton, teaches you about it. If you plan on having it in your classroom library, just a heads up that the reproductive system is included. Would not prevent me from having it, but you should read it to be aware. 
  • Danger in Ancient Rome (Ranger in Time #2) this is such a fun series from author Kate Messner. In Ranger #1 we followed Ranger as he helped rescue people on the Oregon Trail. In Ranger #2 we get to travel to Ancient Rome and a gladiator training school. What a fabulous series. 
  • Weekends With Max and His Dad is an amazing new series by Linda Urban. I will try and review it closer to the release date this spring because I loved it a lot. To summarize quickly, Max is a third grader who is going to visit his dad's apartment for the first time. His mom and dad have separated or divorced and his dad has found a new place. The book follows the adventures and relationship Max and his dad have on their weekend visits together. I absolutely loved Max, his imagination, and watching his relationship with his dad strengthen as they found their new roles. This is a book, and a character, many students will identify with. 
With Weekends with Max and his Dad I have read ninety-nine books for the summer, ahead of my book a day goal of seventy-five for seventy-five days of summer. I still have seven more days, but I'm not going to push myself to read too much this week. I head back to school next Monday, the kids next Wednesday, so I know my attention will be divided. Two things I know I am reading this week are:

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up - I'm working very hard to rid my house of clutter. It feels good to start the school year relatively organized. 

And

The Game of Love and Death - which I am reading with some friends to discuss this week. 

Happy Reading!