Sunday, May 3, 2015

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?


I'm thrilled to link up with Teach Mentor Texts and Unleashing Readers each Monday and share our reading lives. Check out their sites for more information. 

I knew I wouldn't be able to keep up last week's reading pace, but I did find time for some amazing books once again. Here's a quick shot of this week's reading:



As you can see, I found some amazing books. There are three I'd like to give a special shout out to and they are at the beginning, middle, and end of this week's list.

Tom Angleberger is quickly becoming a "must read" author for me. Whatever he writes, I know my students will love. The first book in The Qwikpick Papers series was called Poop Fountain. Quite frankly, the book sells itself in a fifth grade classroom. I know my students will be just as intrigued by this installment, The Rat with the Human Face. The series follows three friends as they meet and go off to have an adventure and kind-of solve a mystery at the same time. Great fun.

The other two books I want to give a special shout-out to are advanced copies. I'm so sorry for that, I know how when I read about an amazing book I want to be able to read it RIGHT AWAY. However, these are too good to not share.

Linda Urban is one of my favorite authors. I think Hound Dog True is one of the most perfect books I have ever read. She completely caught me off guard with Milo Speck, Accidental Agent. I think I will do a separate review for this (and the next book) closer to the release. Let me just leave you with this - Milo is yanked into his clothing dryer by an ogre who lives in another world. How will he get back to his own world and what does his dad have to do with this? I LOVE Milo and certainly hope Linda will be returning to this group of characters again.

Finally, I was beyond thrilled when a friend mailed me a copy of Goodbye Stranger by Rebecca Stead. Like I said, I'll write a more detailed review soon, but holy crap. This is good. As in pre-order it now, you won't want to miss this, good. I love all of Stead's books, but this one is moving to the top of my list. She nails three different story lines in three different point of views, she makes me care about every character, and she deals with some very current teen issues - like sending photos through text - in a realistic and relatable way. LOVE.