Monday, May 18, 2015

Wizard of Oz Book Tour


I don't remember a time in my life when I didn't know about the story of Dorothy, Toto, and their journey home. It wasn't, however, through a book that I knew this story, but a movie. 

I think many people my age grew up watching The Wizard of Oz. I clearly remember being fascinated by Dorothy's shoes, the colors of the movie, and the witch's evil monkeys. There were scenes in that movie that were just breathtakingly beautiful. It is for this reason that I was so intrigued when Cider Mill Press shared this newly illustrated copy of The Wizard of Oz with me. 
This edition is huge! I took a photo next to my dog, Rosie, for reference. I loved the size. I can just imagine some of my students pouring over the illustrations, really studying them. Most of the story will be similar to the one they remember from the movie, but there are a few differences. I think it would be a fascinating discussion with some of my movie buffs in class to discuss the way the two differ. 

Several illustrations stood out to me, but two favorites would include the lion asleep in the field of poppies and one where Dorothy's group first reaches the Emerald City. They have to wear protective eye glasses because the brightness of the city will hurt their eyes. I know my students will immediately comment on the fact that their glasses give the group an almost Steampunk look.

I look forward to bringing this book into my classroom on Monday. I have a feeling that many of my Wizard of Oz fans will be clamoring to read it.