Saturday, February 7, 2015

Celebrate Finding the Light


I’m joining up with Ruth Ayres for her weekly link-up, Celebrate This Week. Check out all of the posts linked up at her blog HERE. Thanks for starting this, Ruth!

Friday I came home in a bad mood. The only word to describe my state was grouchy. Chris asked what was wrong and I listed off a laundry list of grievances.

After listening to only about half of them he said, “Wow, and I thought I had a bad day.”

That made me pause. There was still SO. MUCH. MORE. But then, I took a breath. And then another one. I hate feeling this way. I needed to get out of this funk.

So, I started telling him all of the good things that happened Friday. Time spent with friends. Funny things the kids had done. Rose hopped on my lap. A former student, who is also Luke’s friend, came in the kitchen and cracked a joke. I took another breath.

Feeling a bit better, I scrolled through my students’ blogs, looking for ones I needed to approve. I ran across Logan’s. He had told me this morning he wrote a post asking for others to leave a comment in the form of a poem. He hadn’t told me why. I read his post and smiled. Then, I commented writing the poem below.

Poetry

To express
Joy
Fear
Sorrow
In such few words.

It makes the words
You use
Have a bigger impact.

Poetry cuts to the heart
Of the subject.

You cannot hide,
You cannot lie.

Poetry is truth on the page. 

Finishing my comment, I closed my laptop. The boys all loaded up in our van and we headed to the high school basketball game. There I got to talk to some current students and former students. Looking around the gym I realized how much more relaxed I was than just a few hours before.

This celebration that Ruth has us do every single week is so important – even on a daily basis. It makes me realize that each day is a choice. I can find everything that went wrong and dwell on that. I’ll be grouchy and angry. Or, I can breathe. I can look for the awesome moments, because they are there too.  My life is full of them.

And if you are feeling like writing a poem for Logan, you can find his post HERE.

Or, if you want to comment to other blogs, my students would love that too. They are all HERE.


Thanks!
 
Imagination Designs
Blog design by Imagination Designs Images from the Just Because kit by Laurie Ann