Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Seeds


Many years ago I felt lost when thinking of how to teach writing. I was not a writer myself and grew hopeless when wondering where to start. I found Lucy Calkins Units of Study and fell in love with the metaphor of the seed vs. watermelon stories.

Today I found myself frazzled at the end of the day. It amazes me how little time I feel that I have at the beginning of the school year. I feel that I’m constantly racing to get things done only to stop at the end of the day and see everything I didn’t do. This year I’m making a conscious effort to look for the seeds that show what is going well and marvel over them.

Seeds of our tenth day together:

·      Sharing Colby Sharp’s video (Can view it HERE) and having students rush to check-out Babymouse, say they wish he was their teacher, and comment on his passion for life.
·      Sharing book trailers for Dragon’s Tooth (HERE), Babymouse for President (HERE), and The One and Only Ivan (HERE). Crying as I watched that one and telling my students the story of IVAN.
·      Listening to Delaney tell me that Because of Winn-Dixie is one of the best books EVER MADE and agreeing with her.
·      Having Lexie share her thoughts of Marianne Malone’s The Sixty-Eight Rooms. She said that she thought it was amazing and couldn’t stop telling me her thoughts of Jack and Ruthie. I’d agree.
·      Having students begin collaborating on Google Drive.
·      Reading the point in Escape From Mr. Lemoncello’s Library where Kyle is headed to the lock-in. Having them beg me not to stop.

I looked around my room at 3:45, trying to gather everything to go home. In my earlier years I would always stay until at least five. Now I have children to get home, homework to help finish, and dinner to cook. I grabbed items that I could work on after they were bed and sighed, knowing how much there was to do. But then I thought of the seeds – the bright spots. We’ll get there soon. Until then, I’ll hold on to those moments each day. 
 
Imagination Designs
Blog design by Imagination Designs Images from the Just Because kit by Laurie Ann