Monday, May 28, 2012

Slice of Life - Practicing Gratitude



 Slice of Life is sponsored every Tuesday by Stacey and Ruth from Two Writing Teachers.

As I sat on my porch after a run yesterday I looked up at the trees and thought of what simple things can make us happy. I snapped five pictures of random items throughout the day (and one from the day before) that I am grateful for.

This one is actually from Sunday. We drove over to a nearby town to stop at the bookstore. I had several graphic novels that were not returned to my classroom library this year. I wanted to replace them before reading camp began and the boys wanted to read them. This makes me happy for many reason but the one that stands out is the happiness my boys have when I say we can go to Barnes & Noble. That and the fact that they both adore Babymouse. J

Monday was a running day. And while the run wasn’t pretty, to say the least, I fell into a chair on our porch when I got home and sat there to cool off. When I looked up at the trees and sky I remembered my trip to Colorado last year. I loved looking at the sky and the view in the morning. I wondered why I don’t appreciate my view here at home more, it was just as peaceful.

The boys asked for bagels for breakfast when I got home. Our daily dishes are fiesta gathered from my mom and great-aunt GG’s collection. I’m always happy when I get the light blue one, my favorite color, and the same color as our tile in the kitchen. Today I got the light blue one. A sign of a good day.



Finally, our pool opened today. That makes me blissfully happy. As a kid I spent a lot of time at our pool. I went to double swim team practices from 7-9 am because my friend and I enjoyed it. Then we went from the moment it opened, 12 pm, until close, 7pm. So although I don’t love putting on a swimming suit, I love going and so do my boys. I probably saw thirty students today. We talked about what they were reading. I gave out some book recommendations to some parents. And then I got to do my favorite thing – read poolside. The makings of an amazing day.

I know on Katie Davis’s podcast, Brain Burps About Books, they talked about gratitude last week. They mentioned that the research shows people who practice gratitude are healthier, happier, and often reach their goals. So this summer I’m going to attempt to slow down and pause, reflecting on what many things I have to be grateful. 

15 comments:

  1. Love it! It truly is the simple things in life that (should) make us the happiest! Good for you for reminding us all...thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed all the 'things' you shared, Katherine, but especially that one about the blue plate. It's so interesting what pleases when we slow down and just enjoy. I was reminded of an old red bowl of my grandmother's which I'm grateful for because it reminds me of her, I guess. I love the pics-lovely capture of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pictures to go along with your writing. Slowing down and reflecting this summer is a great idea. Seems like during the school year we are always moving onto the next thing and it can go by in a blur. Here's to enjoying the little things this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katherine --
    What a great way to make your gratitude visible. I especially love (lovelovelove) your counter!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are just amazing. I look forward to your posts and wish we could be teaching across the hall from each other. You are such an inspiration -- especially to get in a bathing suit and see students!!! I need this reminder each and every day, maybe a quote to hang on my mirror so I read it every morning??? And capturing that little moment of gratitude in a photo is the icing on the cake. Love the blue plate insight too - I admire your fiesta ware and counter as well! So, well, festive! :) As always, thanks for sharing and making me think!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite kind of post... On gratitude.... Simply delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the photo gratitude list. Think I'll steal this idea. We forget to be grateful. Today, I lost a friend, making me even more aware that every day is a gift. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful idea! I just might steal your idea......I loved how you connected the gratitude points to your everyday life and events.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Christy Rush-LevineMay 29, 2012 at 8:19 PM

    The photos are a great way to move your slice from episode to episode. What a great idea! It is clear from your gratitude list that you value some of the best things in life: reading made the list in a few different ways, running is also a passion of mine (even if it is really jogging I do) and food is definitely up there on my list too (hence the need for running).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your list and photos created such a warm feeling, and made me want to reflect on what I am grateful for, and try to capture the list with photos, too. To be thankful seems so simple, but as your closing comments point out, it is an enriching practice, and requires time and reflection.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for reminding that we have so much to be thankful for all around us...just have to take the time to notice...I need to do this more often!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea for a post! The simplest things and actions are usually the ones we hold dearest.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A great list! And like several other commenters, I love your photo essay format. I've told Franki, but I don't think I have told you, how much I admire your online running partnership. So great! I keep thinking I will join you. And I'm jealous of reading by the pool- we don't have a neighborhood pool-- as a child, I spend hours, and hours and days at the pool. Would love to do that again!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I will be grateful today. Thank you for sharing your list. Loved the photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Photos add a new dimension to the gratitude list. it is interesting that we sometimes need a reminder to be grateful, even though it is the simples thing ever.

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs
Blog design by Imagination Designs Images from the Just Because kit by Laurie Ann