Friday, June 12, 2015

The Girl Who Could Fly by Victoria Forester

The kind folks over at MacMillan asked me if I wanted to be part of a read along they were doing with the book The Girl Who Could Fly, written by Victoria Forester. This would be in anticipation of the sequel, The Boy Who Knew Everything, which is being released this October. I was happy to participate, but I had one problem, I hadn’t read the first book.

So I got it and oh my goodness, I loved it.

I immediately sent this photo out on Instagram to my friend, Tony. This is his kind of book, after all.


To bring you up to speed, this book follows the story of Piper who, as the title suggests, can fly. She lives in a quiet rural community where that power would make a bit of a fuss. When a doctor appears and has the solution, she and her parents grab it. Piper will go to a special school for kids with special powers and everything will be wonderful, right? Nope, never is.

I loved this book and especially love the character of Piper, a child who just wants everyone to be happy. She quickly finds out that she is up against some formidable odds and the resolution in the book is fabulous to read. I cannot wait to see what happens in the sequel.

That being said, for this read along I need to answer a question from the folks over at MacMillan… if you could have one superpower, what would it be and why?”

And I think I have to take my cue from Piper. I really just want people to be happy. It breaks my heart when I see so much sadness, anger, violence, and jealously in this world. It doesn’t seem to always equate with people having less that feel this way, some of the happiest people I have ever met have little possessions, but a beautiful inner strength. I don’t know what causes those evil feelings to permeate a person’s spirit, but I’d love to be able to help them learn to be happy and content.


So that is my wish for a superpower, how about you? Share with us in the comments or on social media. I cannot wait to find out.