Monday, May 11, 2015

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

I'm thrilled to link up with Teach Mentor Texts and Unleashing Readers each Monday and share our reading lives. Check out their sites for more information. 

You can tell it is the end of the school year. I managed to read one book last week. Fortunately it was amazing.


A Whole New Ballgame by Phil Bildner doesn't come out until next fall. This is super unfortunate because when I book talked it to my three reading classes last Friday, I have a waiting list seven deep (at least) in every single class.

This book follows the story of Rip and Red as they begin fifth grade together. Red is on the autism spectrum and Rip, his best friend, knows how to calm him down when needed. Boy is it needed at the start of their school year. Many curve balls are thrown their way. They have a new teacher, Mr. Acevedo instead of Mrs. Hamburger like was planned. Mr. Acevedo has earrings, tattoos, believes in something called reading and writing workshop, and is just a bit goofy. I love him. There is so much to love about this book. Look for it next August.

As for this week and my reading plan, I really want to finish Liesl Shurtliff's amazing Jack. I loved Rump, and this one has been just as fun so far. That being said, with PARCC testing for the next three days, Open House on Thursday, and 16 school days left, I am just trying to survive. The photo below was shared on Facebook with some educator friends on Friday. I identify with it a bit strongly right now. :)